NWMP Barracks

  • Attractions
  • Museum and Galleries
  • Nature and Parks
  • Parks

609 8 St
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
T1W 2B1

403-678-2462

Visit Website

Built in 1893, the North West Mounted Police (NWMP) barracks was both the home base and workplace of Canmore’s police officers, and the site of the town’s jail, until 1929. The Barracks are the oldest NWMP site in Western Canada still standing in its original location at the west bank of Policeman’s Creek and the east end of Canmore’s main street. The 19th Century, log structure sits on a 0.122-hectare lot with whitewashed stone paths and both spruce and fir trees, some of which were alive during the building’s construction. The Barracks sites is open daily (except Tuesdays) to the public, until September 7.

Similar Listings