Learn about Canmore Kananaskis weather conditions and forecast and how to dress for the elements so you can prepare yourself for a safe and comfortable adventure.
Dress for the Elements
Layers are your friends. For your winter visit, bring an insulated jacket, warm hat, mitts, long underwear and snow boots. Several medium-weight layers that are easily added or removed work much better than one big, heavy one.
In summer, along with your favourite shorts, sandals and sundresses, make sure you also pack jeans, long sleeves, closed shoes and a foul weather jacket. You never know what weather in the Rockies will throw at you, so it’s best to be prepared for anything!
Spring & Fall
You’ll need a little bit of everything in the spring and fall months. Always take with you a warm layer, rain jacket, toque (we’re in Canada, eh? That’s a warm knit hat), gloves, and sun hat. A warm sunny day can morph into a cold rainy one in a few hours.
Because we’re at a higher altitude where the air is clean and thinner than at sea level, the sun’s rays are strong. Sunglasses and sunscreen are essential all year round.
View Current Conditions
The elements change very quickly in the mountains. We recommend reviewing the following if you plan to take walks or light to moderate hikes in the area:
- Obey trail closures
- Carry bear spray for all potential dangerous mammal encounters and an effective noise maker
- Review current weather forecasts
- Wear adequate and appropriate footwear
- Each member of your party should have a comfortable backpack containing, at minimum: food, water, a breathable & waterproof garment, and extra layers of clothing
- Advise someone of your route, destination and projected return time
- If you are doing advanced hikes and/or scrambling, we urge you to research conditions before you depart